Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sourdough stuffing.



For Thanksgiving every year, I make a variation of the sweet, candied yams my grandmother used to make. It is the one holiday food I can't avoid, have to have, and am pretty please to say that i've perfected those little roots.

Although, the last few years I have tried my hand at a new dish: stuffing.

I rarely follow a recipe, and if I do it is just to figure out the right method. So, bare with me but I'm going to just run through the ingredients I used... as I didn't measure a thing. 

What you'll need:

1-2 pounds of good sourdough bread, broken into bits
a heart of celery, chopped
one whole onion
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed
3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
32 oz box of organic, sodium free chicken stock
3-4 handfuls of fresh cranberries
butter
salt
pepper
sage
thyme
rosemary

What I did:

First, Ramona and I sat and pulled all of the bread apart, left it out for about a day to dry and harden. 

Next, I heated a few pads of butter in my wok on medium heat and sauteed the celery, onion, garlic, and apples until onions were translucent and everything had softened. 

Then I took it off the heat, added the whole box of chicken stock, herbs, and cranberries and folded everything together. Let sit for a few minutes to absorb the broth a bit. 

Pour mixture over breadcrumbs in a large bowl, fold until incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes, or until golden. 

I was making this dish to feed fourteen people, and I definitely could've fed about thirty. Good thing we have two more Thanksgiving dinners to go to this week! This stuffing is fresh, savory, and has a bit of a tangy quality from the fresh cranberries. I imagine you could use dried cranberries if you wanted a sweeter flavor. 

What dishes are you coming up with this Thanksgiving? 
Happy indulgences!

▲▲▲

No comments:

Post a Comment