Saturday, June 29, 2013

Preschool potluck.

Ramona and her friends just celebrated the end of a year, her very first year of preschool.
She started in January, but the immense growth and change I have noticed in her warrants a major celebration.

It was one filled with potluck dishes, singing little people, goodbyes to our 5-year-old friends, connecting with other parents,
and tours of the new art room. 

I cannot even express how grateful I feel for finding her this school, these beautiful teachers.
Each of her teachers exudes patience, calm, and a genuine love for all of the children.
They teach in such a balanced manner; incorporating art, music, life skills, choice, healthy eating,
and always emphasize on the learning that occurs outdoors.
Her teachers are just real. They love those kids and are just the most wonderful.

It's been such a treat to see her enter the world of peers and friends, learning, and becoming more independent.
She has done it all with such grace, I get so emotional every time I hear her talk about her friends at school
('only Josephina, mama'), or recount the things she learned over the course of a day (she can accurately, and without even asking, point to India, Australia, Africa, Antarctica, and Europe on a map!).

She is a gem; our joke-telling, boy-despising, vegetable-eating gem of a girl.

Our sweet Ramona is growing into a beautiful little person, full of humor and wisdom.
I can't wait to see how her next year unfolds there, at Giving Tree Preschool.

Here are a few photos from the potluck:



How adorable is her teacher Kellie?!







And here is the recipe I used for these fresh raspberry cupcakes.

I did change the recipe a little: I substituted coconut milk for the the half and half and generally used less sugar wherever it called for it. I used whole wheat flour and added a few tablespoons of flax.

I made a really simple coconut milk icing for them, that added a bit more sweetness.
I didn't measure when I was making it, but I will guess it was something like:

1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 stick of butter

+

Mix with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Put a little dollop on each cupcake and top with a fresh raspberry, for a few more cute points.

▲▲▲

No comments:

Post a Comment