Saturday, January 4, 2014

WELCOME, 2014.

//Source: here//

2013 was a really good year.
I learned that I deserve to be confident;
I have accomplished and grown immeasurably, as a mother, as a wife,
and in my profession as a teacher.
I have done things that I never imagined I could, and I have done them pretty well.
With that said, here is a short list of ways I want to improve this year:

-----

BE RESOLUTE.
I need to be focused and confident in my student teaching,
and definitely in my first year teaching.
I can't forget all of the things I did to get myself here.
It's going to be so hard, but I'm going to get through it.

LET GO.
Letting go of control.
From the cleanliness of our house, to what Ramona eats and wears,
I need to just let go.

SAY YES.
I find myself saying "no" a lot lately.
Both to Ramona and to Cody, and it's turned into something of a bad habit.
This very much relates to the above resolution, but I thought it deserved a title of its own.
I am going to say "yes" more than is comfortable,
and in turn, I think I will naturally just start the process of letting go.

DISCONNECT.
The psychologist in me seriously resents the smart phone revolution and what it's doing to our brains,
and our inter-personal relationships, but that's probably another post entirely.
I've said this every year since getting a smart phone, but this year I mean it.
The other day, Ramona just pushed my phone down and said, "why is your phone out?!"
We were at home, no one was around, but I was mortified.
She's right. And I am taking steps to make sure I'm not on any device during the day.
I'm not sure exactly how this will look, maybe no screens before a certain time.
Has anyone else figured out a schedule that has worked for them?

READ MORE.
I have been a college student for something like nine years,
so reading for pleasure has somehow gotten lost in the sea of textbooks I've been required to peruse in that time.
I'll be graduating in May, thus ending my time as a student forever.
I have already begun to compile a book list,
but I'd love to hear what books you love to add to my list!

-----

Take more spontaneous trips as a family, learn to cook a wider variety of foods, date my husband more, listen intently and respond thoughtfully, call my friends more, tell my parents how much I love and care about them....
The list is comprehensive and interconnected.
I plan on taking on each one this year, so let's get started!
Cheers to a brand new year,
a year that will bring us a FOUR-YEAR-OLD girl.

▲▲▲

No comments:

Post a Comment