Saturday, August 10, 2013

Farro salad.




Last night I made a farro salad that was so simple and healthy.
I have an abundance of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in the garden right now, 
so I made sure to incorporate those as much as possible.

▲Here's what I used:

1 package farro

--sauteed ingredients--
Fresh corn, cut from the cob
1/2 large sweet onion
5-6 crimini mushrooms
1 large carrot
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 (or so)  cup raw hazelnuts
coconut oil
paprika
salt + pepper

--raw ingredients--
1-2 large cucumbers
2-3 large garden tomatoes
2 banana peppers
1 avocado
1 lemon
extra salt + pepper to taste

▲Here's what I did:

First, chop up all your veggies.
I tend to chop a little finer for salads and things like this, 
but that is totally just my preference.

Cook your farro, set aside, and even chill in the refrigerator if you have time.

Heat a generous amount (3-4 tbsp) of coconut oil in your skillet, over med-high.
Add the onion and corn and try to get these a little charred.
Then add your mushrooms, carrots, hazelnuts, and garlic.
Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. 
Set aside to cool.

Your farro should be a little cooled, as should your sauteed ingredients.
Combine these with your cucumber, tomato, and pepper in a large bowl,
and finally garnish each serving with sliced avocado and a squeeze of lemon!

In the past, I have made various citrus dressings to drizzle over the top,
but I've found that I like to dress each serving as I have it instead of over the whole bowl.
It keeps better that way, and nothing has been better than a simple squeeze of lemon.

It was really light and refreshing, and we have so much left over.
Ramona even asked for seconds.
Win.

▲▲▲

2 comments:

  1. I've been stalking WHAT RAMONA EATS. made this last night for my hound. Do you have any good lentil recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For as often as we eat lentils, you'd think I'd have posted something about it by now. We make a variation of this at least once a week:

      LENTIL STEW:
      heat oil in a big pan (i prefer coconut oil, or olive)
      sautee leeks (or onions, i have been obsessed with leeks lately), really cook them down
      throw in veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, squash... whatever combo you like)
      salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like
      1/4-1/2 cup dry lentils
      then cover everything with chicken stock (you could use vegetable stock, but I prefer the taste of chicken)
      I like to put a bay leaf in there to simmer with it, maybe a can of organic stewed tomatoes or a few handfuls of kale/spinach/any greens you have
      reduce heat to med-low, cover with a lid
      stir every once in awhile until lentils have cooked completely (about 25-30 minutes)

      You can seriously make this in a million different ways. Changing up the veggies, the spices (curry seasoning and a little coconut milk, yum), and whatever you decide to serve with it (cornbread, warmed pita, sourdough garlic bread).

      Let me know how it goes!
      xo

      Delete